Fruity cereal milk-infused overnight cinnamon rolls with a sweet cereal milk icing.
For the cereal milk:
- 1 3/4 cups crushed fruity cereal
- 1 3/4 cups cold milk
For the dough:
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup cereal milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) instant yeast (NOT rapid rise)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed fruity cereal
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4–5 tablespoons cereal milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Crushed fruity cereal, for topping
- First, make the cereal milk: In a small bowl or cup, stir crushed cereal and milk until well combined. Let sit 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a separate bowl or cup. Set off to side.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk egg yolks, whole egg, sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup cereal milk. Add 2 cups flour along with yeast and salt; whisk until just combined. Replace whisk attachment with dough hook and add 3/4 cup flour. Knead on low speed 5 minutes (alternatively, knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes). Add more flour as needed until dough is soft but not sticky. Continue to knead in stand mixer 5 minutes (or 5-10 minutes by hand) until dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Shape dough into a ball and place in bowl; turn once to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until doubled.
- Spray bottom and sides of a 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Punch down risen dough; turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently shape into a rectangle, long side facing you. Use a rolling pin to roll dough into an approximately 18×12-inch rectangle. Brush 4 tablespoons melted butter over dough to within 1/2-inch of the top long edge. Sprinkle with cinnamon, then sprinkle with 1 cup crushed cereal.
- Beginning with long end nearest you, carefully roll dough into a tight log. Firmly pinch seam to seal; turn so seam side is down. Use a serrated knife to gently cut dough into 12 equal-size rolls, about 1 1/2 inches each. Arrange rolls cut side-up in prepared baking pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, at least 8 hours up to 16 hours.
- The next morning, remove rolls from the refrigerator; uncover and place baking pan of rolls in the oven, turned off. Place a shallow pan on a rack just beneath the rolls; add enough boiling water to pan to fill 2/3-full. Immediately close the oven door and let rolls steam 30 minutes until puffy. Remove rolls and shallow pan from oven.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Return rolls to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes until deep golden brown.
- While rolls are still warm, make the glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons cereal milk and vanilla to form a smooth, thick-but-drippy glaze (add more cereal milk or powdered sugar as needed). Spread or drizzle glaze over warm rolls; sprinkle with more crushed cereal. Serve warm.
Use any fruity cereal you love!
Keywords: cinnamon roll