These classic oatmeal chocolate chip cookies have golden chewy edges and a soft gooey center! They are loaded with oats and melted chocolate chips. These cookies take only 20 minutes in total. Grab a warm cookie and a glass of milk for the ultimate dessert!
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten free 1 to 1 flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add a piece of parchment paper to a baking pan.
- To a large mixing bowl, add granulated sugar, brown sugar and cold butter cubes. Beat on high until fully mixed. There should be no clumps of butter remaining.
- Next, add in the egg and vanilla extract. Gently beat until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Add in the old-fashioned rolled oats. Mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips using a large spoon or spatula.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough onto lined cooking sheet. Leave 2 inches of room between dough balls.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies will look soft.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow the cookies to cool on pan for about 10 minutes. Carefully remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- To prevent spreading, use cold butter. Take butter out of the fridge right before making this recipe.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until completely creamy. This takes 2 to 3 minutes with a stand mixer or electric mixer.
- Old-fashioned rolled oats provide a much better texture than instant oats or steel-cut oats. For that reason, use rolled oats.
- For gluten free, use gluten free flour and gluten free oats.
- To create perfectly round cookies, use a cookie scoop.
- These cookies will look soft when removed from the oven.
- Keep cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Wrap individual cookies in plastic wrap to freeze for 1 month.
Keywords: dessert, oatmeal cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, baking, cookies, chocolate, oats