- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- Good pinch of saffron threads
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup organic can sugar
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water or rose water
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- In small bowl, whisk cornstarch with 1/2 cup milk. Pour remaining 1 1/2 cups milk in small saucepan. Add saffron and salt. Let saffron infuse in milk for 30 minutes.
- Heat saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in cornstarch-milk mixture. Continue whisking until milk begins to boil and mixture thickens. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add sugar and continue whisking 10 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and transfer to 2-quart measuring cup or bowl. Whisk in crème fraîche and orange blossom (or rose) water. Cover cup or bowl with clean kitchen towel and let cool completely, whisking every few minutes to prevent skin from forming.
- Once completely cooled, cover mixture directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours until thoroughly chilled.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to airtight container and freeze 10 minutes uncovered (to avoid formation of ice crystals). Cover tightly and freeze up to 1 month. Serve sprinkled with chopped pistachios.