Deliciously delightful strawberry shortcake cupcakes made with a soft and fluffy vanilla cupcake base that’s stuffed with a Golden Oreo and a fresh strawberry center! Top it off with a sweet, pink strawberry buttercream and a sprinkle of freeze-dried strawberries for the ultimate dessert mashup.
For the cupcakes:
- 16 Golden Oreo cookies
- 16 small to medium fresh strawberries, tops sliced off
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the strawberry buttercream frosting:
- 1 (2-oz) package freeze-dried strawberries (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- First, make the cupcakes: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line 16 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners. In each liner, place an Oreo in the bottom. Top each with a strawberry, cut side-down. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add eggs, vegetable oil, 1/2 cup milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract; using paddle attachment of stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, beat flour-egg mixture on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium-high speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth and light.
- Pour or spoon cupcake batter evenly over strawberries and Oreos in each paper liner; each cup should be about 3/4 full with batter (the strawberries will still likely be visible; this is normal!). Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes are baked through, the edges are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, make the frosting: In a food processor, pulse freeze-dried strawberries until powdery. Measure out 1/2 cup powder to save for frosting; reserve the rest, including any larger bits, for topping the cupcakes.
- In a clean bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add 1/2 cup strawberry powder, powdered sugar, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium-high speed for 2 minutes or until mixture is light, fluffy and creamy. Add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to make sure frosting is thin enough to pipe or spread.
- Pipe or spread frosting on top of fully cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with reserved strawberry bits and powder. Serve immediately; store leftovers covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Strawberry buttercream frosting recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Recipes.
Keywords: strawberry frosting, strawberry buttercream frosting, vanilla cupcake batter, Golden oreo cupcakes, strawberry cupcakes